Thursday 8 January 2015

Clicker Training Part 1: Beef with the Clicker

Excited for our very first clicker training session together, I gathered some tiny snippets of roast beef, picked up the clicker and called Dennis over. And we were ready to go!

My first aim was to get Dennis to associate the click with a reward.

I kept the clicker in one hand behind my back and picked up a treat with the other hand. He sat down and stared at me, licking his lips and jiggling excitedly. Then I clicked just before giving him the treat, which he gobbled up eagerly.

I managed to do this twice, noticing that he twitched a little at the sound of each click.

The third time I clicked, there was a very different outcome – instead of eating the piece of beef being offered to him, he ran away and hid under the table in terror!

I purposefully didn't make any fuss because I didn't want to make his fear seem justified or reward his anxiety with attention.

When he eventually returned to me, I smiled and praised him, giving him a couple of treats by hand to reassure him that nothing sinister was going on. But as soon as I reached for the clicker, he darted back under the table.

Great – my dog is scared of the bloody clicker! My guess is that it sounds similar to the nail clippers, which he hates because I once accidentally grazed the edge of his quick (the sensitive part inside the nail, which isn't visible in dogs with black nails).

On his second return, he ran back under the table the moment I even tried to offer him a treat. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that the merits of his sudden aversion to food did cross my mind.

So as to end on a positive note, I waited for him to come back to me and gave him plenty of cuddles and eventually a treat (no clicks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You look like you want to say something. Go on.